Sunday, February 27, 2011

That's how long snow lasts here


That's how long snow lasts here, originally uploaded by veggy.

There is something about Vancouver that makes snow special. It's has to do with the fact that we are the warmest city in Canada in winter. Most people stereotype us and think we live in the permafrost of winter, but nope not us on the normally wet west coast! When it snows here we turn back into children. It's a novelty, and an excuse to get outside because it's not wet. Last night we went tobogganing in a hill in Kitslano at midnight. We were joined by other people whom also had toboggans stored away for this very moment that rarely happens. The joy of sitting on your ass and riding down a hill at a rip roaring speed, and going over a bump which gives you air is something we don't get to explore enough. I was enveloped with laughter, not only for my own experience but watching others experience the same thing. I remember doing the same thing as a child with my brothers and neighbours. Looking up into the sky and seeing the giant flakes feather their way down to the earth. But as quickly as it comes, as quickly as it goes. The sound of slush, and rivers of melting white fluff get washed away. I dream of more days like this.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta say, because I'm not the biggest fan of winter, that thats the only thing I like about snow in Van, here one day, gone the next.

    ReplyDelete